Larry O'Dell, Owner
Retail Center: 65 Klema Dr. Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
- RADON is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States
- RADON exposure has no immediate signs or symptoms
- 37 million Americans suffer chronic sinus problems caused by MOLD exposure
- ASBESTOS and LEAD continue to be a problem in many structures
- 1 in 6 people suffer from common ALLERGENS
- Chronic exposure to low levels of CARBON MONOXIDE can lead to depression, confusion and memory loss
- Symptoms of mild acute CARBON MONOXIDE poisoning include headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects
- Potting soil in a plastic bag, rotting food in your kitchen and sewage drainage problems are just the few causes of METHANE GAS developing in your home
Eliminate allergens from your children’s air!
At EnviroSpect, we are committed to providing the most thorough and comprehensive environmental inspection and testing available. Using state-of-the art assessment procedures and equipment, we completely evaluate the environmental quality of your home.
EnviroSpect provides a vast number of services on residential properties such as:
- Mold inspections and sampling, including certified laboratory results
- Radon, Carbon Monoxide and Methane gas testing
- Allergen testing for dust mites, pet dander, cockroach particles, and other common allergy-causing entities
- Ductwork and ventilation inspections for cleaner, healthier air
- Thermal imaging to detect rodent, termite, insect, mold infestation and more
EnviroSpect professionals are trained by nationally known and highly respected environmental instructors, certified by state and/or industry standards, and insured for your protection
We take pride in the work we do and care about the health and safety of all our clients, their families, and employees.
Mold is one of nature’s miracles. It is a very effective and efficient biodegrading plant. It eats what it grows on and gives off gas as a waste product. You recognize this as a musty smell. There are over 250,000 species of mold. Different species will biodegrade different substances.
Mold can grow in many colors, but frequently it is black. Mold is a necessary part of nature’s plan. If we didn't have mold, we would have dead leaves half way to the moon by now. The plant consists of two parts. First, the main body of the plant known as the hypha, is the ugly substance on your walls. Second, there are the microscopic spores on top that the plant uses to proliferate its growth by spreading them like plant seeds.
Since the plants don't like to share their space with other species, they will also emit spores to snuff out any other competing spores that happened to settle in on their field of growth. Air movement can also cause spores to spread.
This is where the bad aspect of mold comes in. There are two categories of mold spores that a person may have to contend with. The first is labeled as an irritant. You don't see them being breathed in, but your body knows that they are in your lungs. This causes your system to begin an immune function. This is so you can flush them out of your body. You will cough, your eyes will tear, and your nose will run. You may also get a headache. This is mostly from your sinuses dealing with the spores.
When this happens, most people think that they have acquired a cold or flu. The difference is that the symptoms will not go away as long as you are exposed to the spores. Another sign of this is that the nasal drainage will be clear instead of yellow. This problem will get more serious after prolonged exposure, because the immune system will weaken from being over worked. You will be more susceptible to opportunistic illnesses.
The second category of mold spore is more dangerous. They are called pathogenic spores. They give off mycotoxins that cause neurological damage to the body. They will cause early dementia or memory loss or in the case of a child they can cause mental developmental problems. Fortunately, these spores are in the minority. They are a very hearty spore. It takes them over ten days to grow, and the environment needs to be dark and very wet. The problems that these spores cause have been highly exploited in the media.
The media would suggest that mold is deadly. This causes many people to panic when they see anything that resembles black mold. The pathogens are rarely found in small areas on vertical walls. Those areas are not wet enough. They can be found inside of a wall that has a prolonged plumbing leak or any area that has been gushy wet for a long period of time.
Smaller areas of mold can be cleaned with the use of commercially produced cleaners such as Microban or the use of household bleach. Be aware, however, that the chlorine from the bleach can cause sinus damage, when used in closed areas. Microban is much more people friendly to use. If you are in doubt as to which mold that you have in your home, then it would be a good idea to have it tested by a professional. Small areas of mold (under ten square feet) can readily be cleaned if it is just in a humid or lightly damp area.
If the mold test proves the spores to be pathogenic, then they should be cleaned by a professional. Mold is a necessary part of nature's process, but we don't want it in our homes biodegrading things that we are not finished with yet, like our bodies.
Envirospect professionals are trained to provide the most thorough and comprehensive environmental inspection and testing available. Using state-of-the art assessment procedures and equipment, they completely evaluate the environmental quality of your home. They take pride in the work they do and care about the health and safety of all their clients. That’s why they are certified and insured.
Contact owner Larry O'Dell at 614-496-7567 to learn more about your home’s air quality. And, if you need a speaker for your club, organization or classroom, they can help. Contact them today!